The Advisors Guide to Social Security Benefits
Course DescriptionThe Old-Age, Survivor and Disability Insurance (OASDI)—which for most Americans means Social Security—is the largest income-maintenance program in the United States. Based on social insurance principles, the program reaches almost every family, and at some point will touch the lives of nearly all Americans. Today, nearly one in six Americans receive a benefit from Social Security, including 90% of individuals age 65 and older, making Social Security the #1 federal entitlement program.
This course was designed to increase an insurance producer's comfort zone while assisting clients navigate the complex world of Social Security benefits. It examines Old Age Retirement Benefits, Social Security auxiliary benefits, strategies to maximize Social Security benefits, Women and Social Security, taxation of Social Security benefits, and Social Security Disability Insurance. The course concludes with a discussion of the future of Social Security.
Learning ObjectivesUpon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the Social Security program, Trust Funds and their future outlook
- Calculate the Old-Age retirement, Survivor and Disability Insurance benefits using the Primary Insurance Amount
- Explain the effects of the Windfall Elimination Provision, Government Pension Offset, and the Retirement Earnings Test
- Determine the best age to claim Old-age retirement benefits and survivor benefits
- Coordinate spousal benefits and switching strategies to maximize married client benefits
- Recognize the rules that apply to special situations, including widow(er)s, dependents, and divorced spouses to secure the maximum family benefit
- Articulate how Social Security benefits are taxed and the effect on retirement tax planning
- Explain the eligibility rules and benefits of the Social Security Disability Insurance Program and the Supplemental Social Security Income program
Updated: January 2021
|Credit Type:||General Financial Planning Principles|
|Provider:||Broker Educational Sales & Training, Inc.|